Thursday, June 4, 2009

Getting Hits

I never liked trickery. You know those messages in websites that do not really say anything but they include all these keywords so search engines will notice them and index them. For example, if I wanted folks in Chatsworth to pick up on my website, I might mention the name Chatsworth a couple of times and throw in the fact that I write books and have several in the marketplace with Lulu. I might mention that I recently donated a copy of Transient to the Whitfield-Murray Historical Society after communicating with their new executive secretary Erik Gallman who is a well know artist as well and a good one I might add and a really likable fellow. I could go so far as to say that my wife contacted the Daily Citizen in Dalton and subsequently sent them a news release about my titles.

When search engines started charging people for prime positions on results pages, the idea of the website with the most hits gets top billing went out the window. Now many of the top sites have paid to be there. At least, that is the way I understand it. I admit my understanding is lacking when it comes to indexing and spiders and crawling stuff.

Perhaps I should not call it trickery, since I don't like trickery. Perhaps, it is just learning how the Internet works and capitalizing on that knowledge. I must understand that I opened this blog just for kicks. Who is going to be interested in pigs feet, squirrel brains and chicken necks? They are and have been a part of American culture for many years. But then we call a wrecking bar a crowbar around here and who would care about that bit of information, either?

So, you think you can't write! Here I have just sat down and rambled on for paragraphs and really had nothing to say when I started. The evidence of the foregoing is contained therein.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers